The Law Offices of

B J Fadem & Associates, APC

Certified Family Law Specialist

San Jose Divorce lawyerThe Legal issue of Child Custody can be either very simple or become very complicated depending on many factors. However, Attorney BJ Fadem is dedicated to the best interest of the child (ren’s) welfare. He believes in bringing families together and through this dedication he uses his experience, legal skills, experts, and commitment to the best interests of children to make this possible.

Attorney B J Fadem has 30 years’ experience in Child Custody and Visitation. In addition, Santa Clara County calls upon Attorney B J Fadem and appoints him to represent children as their legal counsel when the Court determines that the parents are too conflicted.His office is filled with many toys. He is continuously attending and teaching various seminars and classes regarding children and child development to maintain his knowledge and expertise with regard to Children. His dedication is not only Legal, it is his life.

Our Law Firm understands the emotional turmoil, possible trauma, and psychological impact on the child (ren), as well as the parental conflict that may arise in Child Custody litigation. We have many resources, assistance, experts and professionals within our network to resolve any issue for our clients and their families.

We do take the Legal issues seriously in hand with the welfare of the child (ren). Most Law Firms don’t.

The Legal Factors may involve:

Common questions asked are:

As a father can I have Custody of my child (ren)?

Can I change a ‘Custody Order’ after I have already obtained my Divorce?
Only if there has been a substantial change of circumstances.

Can I change the Visitation schedule since my Divorce?
Yes, by showing it’s in the best interest of the child (ren).

I haven’t lived in California for 6 months. Can I get a ‘Custody Order’?
Yes, under certain circumstances California will take ‘Emergency Jurisdiction’ and issue ‘Custody Orders’.

The other parent has obtained a Restraining Order against me. Is that going to affect the issues of Custody of our child (ren)?
It could. A finding of Domestic Violence raises a presumption that it is not in the best interest of the child (ren) for a parent to have Custody, including joint Custody.

At what age can my child (ren) choose which parent they can live with?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions – and the most misunderstood. There is no specific age. The legal statute states, that when a child (ren) is of an age and appears to be mature, the Court MAY consider the child (ren)’s preference. However, if the parents do not agree, the Court must decide what parenting schedule and custody arrangement is in the child (ren)’s best interest – even though it may not be the child (ren)’s preference regardless of age. However, a recent law states that Child(ren) age 14 year and above have a right to “address the court” should they choose. This is a very complex law and Attorney B J Fadem was instrumental in the development and continues to present Santa Clara County’s “Teen Orientation” Program to inform these children of their rights and what the new law actually means. Santa Clara County, however, created the “pilot project” and is currently sharing it around the world. It is expected to be adopted by other counties, states and countries.

Can I move out of State with my child (ren)?
Depends on many factors.

Can your Law Firm file our Legal documents in any County?
Yes. We can file in all California Counties and cities, including but not limited to: Alameda County, Alpine County, Amador County, Butte County, Calaveras County, Colusa County, Contra Costa County, Del Norte County, El Dorado County, Fresno County, Glenn County, Humbolt County, Inyo County, King County, Lake County, Lassen County, Madera County, Marin County, Mariposa County, Mendocino County, Merced County, Modoc County, Mono County, Monterey County, Napa County, Nevada County, Placer County, Plumas County, Sacramento County, San Benito County, San Francisco County, San Joaquin County, San Mateo County, Santa Clara County, Santa Cruz County, Shasta County, Sierra County, Siskiyou County, Solano County, Sonoma County, Stanislaus County, Sutter County, Tehama County, Trinity County, Tulare County, Tuolumne County, Yolo County, and Yuba County.

Seeking sound legal counsel with regard to Child Custody or Visitation is a very important decision. Making the wrong or uninformed decision could cost you your family. Helping families is what Attorney B J Fadem does.

Our Attorneys are skilled at helping clients with Child Custody legal issues and making the process as civil and polite as possible. We hope that your case will go to Mediation first or to a Settlement Conference. This will save you both time and money. However, if the Opposing Side does not hold these ideals in high regard, we will be prepared to litigate at trial.

Your issue may be time sensitive.

Please contact our office to set-up your Initial Consultation.

Please read the FAQs prior to your Initial Consultation.

Se habla Espanola

‘It just takes a call’

Regarding Domestic Violence here are some links for immediate help: